Tuesday, May 19, 2009

It's Just Different with Girls

When I was the mother of boys and special occasion dances came around, I was usually the last to know. I would often depend on the knowledge that the mothers of girls always seemed to posses like where were they taking pictures, where were they going out to eat, when did the dance start--you know, the important stuff.

When I was the mother of boys and special occasions came around, I coached them on manners, helped them pick out flowers, advised on proper attire (and assured them they would not be the only one wearing a tie), and just hoped that they showered before they dressed for the evening. I rarely got pictures of the evening's festivities.

Now that I am a mother of a girl, those same special occasions are quite a bit different. I've heard all about the plans, the changes in plans, and the drama involved with the changes in plans. My fashion advisement is in regards to appropriateness and affordability. We've scheduled nail appointments, hair appointments, tanning sessions, and purchased teeth whitening products. They coordinate their appointments and get dressed in groups to offer last minute fashion advice and the occasional correction of an up-do gone wrong.

Now that I'm a mother of a girl, there are nails to paint and hair to put up. There are jewels to adorn and shoes to be worn. There are dates to be interrogated and pictures to be taken...and then they are out the door.

Now that I'm a mother of a girl, there are prayers to be said and no sleep to be had until The Princess is back home safely in bed.


No comments: