Thursday, February 19, 2009

You Should Know Your Numbers


I flunked Dr. Oz's Real Age Test.
By flunk, I mean that my "real" age was greater than my actual age. ARGHHHH! At the end of the test, they give you a list of reasons as to why you scored as you did. Apparently, I flunked because I did not know my numbers...and because I sometimes talk on the cell phone while I drive. Seriously, I didn't know talking on the cell phone was considered a health risk. They asked how many mg of calcium, iron, vitamin C, D & A were in the multi-vitamin I took. I didn't have the bottle with me so I didn't know. But that's why I take a multi-vitamin-- so I don't have to do the math.

Then they ask for some other numbers I didn't know--blood pressure, total cholesterol, HDL, LDL, TRG, and blood sugar. My last test was about 10 years ago. I was sure that since my dress size and hair color had changed over that time period, chances are so had my numbers. I figured it was time to get them re-done. It didn't sound quite as fun as having my colors done or getting a make-over but being a classic overachiever, I couldn't live with the unacceptable grade. I had to know my numbers so I could re-take the test. I made a visit to my "helpful smile in every aisle" pharmacy who happened to be running a special this month on cholesterol checks. They had me at "finger prick". No long needles and tubes of blood for me.

Five minutes later, I had my numbers: 101/60, 150, 69,47, 169, and 103.
Not too bad but there's always room for improvement. Aside from not talking on the cell while I drive, I need to get more exercise and cut out some unhealthy eating habits.

It's not just about improving my test score--it's about improving my quality of life and lowering my risk of heart disease.

So go red and get your numbers done.
Gina

No comments: