Tuesday, February 24, 2009

No Words

Wordle: Untitled

My last post was about numbers. Although I still stand by my premise that you should know your numbers, I must admit that I never really cared much for numbers. I wasn't particularly good at math in school and I still panic if I think I've got to do some mental math on the spot. I never volunteer for jobs that require making change, calculating price per unit, or estimating food amounts to purchase. I rarely offer to figure everyone's contribution when it comes to splitting the bill at the restaurant. I count on the GPS to calculate my estimated time of arrival if I am traveling at 65 mph.

I was really freaked out in 7th grade when I had Algebra for the first time and they threw letters into equations. Letters belong in words and those I understand! I am a good speller, I love the history of words, and I love learning new words--occasionally I make up new ones when I can't think of the one I want or when I need to get extra points in Scrabble. I love how some people have such a way with words that in their speech or in their writing thy can paint a vivid picture or move you to action simply by the words they choose.

Sometimes, there are no words. Like when you are totally speechless by what God is writing on your heart. When your best defenses are shut down by His words that you are chosen, you are equipped, you are in His plan and He has your destiny written in his story. When you are afraid to argue but more afraid to answer.

Psalm 19 begins with these verses:
The heavens proclaim the glory of God.
The skies display his craftsmanship.
Day after day they continue to speak;
night after night they make him known.
They speak without a sound or word;
their voice is never heard.
Yet their message has gone throughout the earth,
and their words to all the world.

And ends with this:
May the words of my mouth
and the meditation of my heart
be pleasing to you,
O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.

1 comment:

Lynn said...

Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog! I remember you and have enjoyed "backreading" some of your posts. Let's visit each other's blogs more often.