Thursday, October 9, 2008

Creating Fall













Have I told you how much I love this season? I love the crispness of the air, the colors of the leaves, the apple harvest, the fragrances- cinnamon, burning leaves, cider warming on the stove. I love the fabrics of the season--corduroy, tweeds, sweaters & light jackets.

I've always loved Fall--as a kid I loved the start of a new school year (back in the day when they waited until after Labor Day to start school)- new clothes, new shoes, new crayons!; the county fair, Halloween costumes, candy-apples, hayrides...

Even now as an adult September feels like the start of a new year. Maybe it's the former teacher in me but my life for the past 25 years has been on a school calendar. Being on the paying end of of the new clothes, new shoes, new school supplies isn't quite as exciting but with college kids and a high school junior, I don't even get to buy school supplies anymore.

Living in the midwest gives me another reason to love the Fall-- because everyday we get of wonderful Fall weather is one less day of Winter! I didn't hate winter until I moved to the frozen tundra (as my friend JoD calls it) but my southern blood has yet to adjust to the sub-zero temps of January & February. So to celebrate the season and maybe stretch it out a few more weeks, I spend some time adorning my porch and various places around the house with touches of the season. I've discovered that other than the mums on the front porch, artificial works best for me. This discovery came after one season as I would walk the outdoor trail near my house, I would stop and collect the acorns along the path. I would bring them home in pocket fulls until I could fill a Pottery Barn knock-off container. How cute they looked--so natural...until they sprouted worms that crawled all around the inside of said Pottery Barn knock-off container. Eeeeewwwwww!

So, what's YOUR favorite season?

No comments: