Tuesday, July 7, 2009

How I Spent My Summer Vacation...

In the absence of a longer summer vacation, we have planned a couple of shorter getaways. Not really a staycation but weekend trips taking in the sights of our region of the country.
Our first weekend getaway was at the invite of some friends from days gone by asking us to join them for the 4th of July weekend at their family cabin in Michigan. We were able to combine it with a business stop for my hubby which "bought" us another day for the holiday. His business stop took us to Holland, Michigan. It is a lovely little town that we had visited in October. I fell in love with their beautiful downtown area and was able to spend a couple of hours walking it while hubby did his work. Besides the shopping district, the city has made every effort to keep the downtown area guest friendly. In the winter, the sidewalks are thermal heated to keep the ice and snow cleared. I missed the green spaces and statues on my last visit and they were especially beautiful with the foliage this time of year.
After his business was finished, we traveled further north to an area that boasts of being on the 45th parallel--halfway between the equator and north pole. For the first part of the weekend, it felt like it was closer to the north pole than the equator. Even for someone who seriously overpacks, I didn't have enough warm clothes for the unseasonable temperatures. So much for my plans of sitting poolside and finishing the latest Kingsbury book. Our hosts were gracious and we found other ways to spend our time.


Hubby found the green golf courses a good distraction...




while I spent some time sampling all sorts of cherry products at the national cherry festival in Traverse City. Even for a salsa snob like me, the cherry salsa was worth a purchase!











It was a good trip but, as always, it is good to be home. Hope you had a memorable 4th!

No comments: