Monday, September 29, 2008

Shopping the Man Mall

The top secret project I referred to in an earlier post has something to do with this:


Now obtaining this item required me to engage in one of my favorite activities--shopping. I consider shopping to be my spiritual gift (one of these days I'll find a scripture to back that up). I eagerly participate no matter what the object of purchase may be. As one who has sharpened her shopping skills, er... gift, I also know that knowing where to shop is key to claiming the perfect purchase. I was on a tight time frame and did not have the luxury of cruising the aisle of various discount and craft stores in order to produce the top secret project contribution. So I called in reinforcements.
Have I told you what a great group of people I work with? We're a team, we collaborate, we encourage each other, and take turns picking up the Chinese takeout meals. So a quick email went out requesting tips on the most likely place that may sell the object of my search. Immediate responses came back to my rescue. It was clear that I would need to patronize stores whose main clientale are men wearing bib overalls and workboots.
I was not intimidated by this challenge. I happen to be the designated handy person in our home and have made a fair share of trips to these men malls. I do not fear the sideways glances I receive as I toss my designer bag on my shoulder and head for the aisle labeled with simple signage: tape, nails, and fasteners. The key is to get in and get out and not make eye contact with anyone along the way.
So with my mission accomplished and my purchase "in the bag", I was fully prepared to head to the secret gathering place and contribute to the greater good.
Stay tuned and more will follow as the project comes together and you will see what an integral part my purchase has played.

No comments: