Tuesday, December 1, 2009

A Charlie Brown Christmas

If there is anything I've learned from living in the Midwest, it is to take advantage of the first nice weekend in November to get your outdoor Christmas decorating done. I learned this lesson after a few frost-bitten fingers that were determined to wait until after Thanksgiving Day to decorate for Christmas.
I was pretty sure I had erred once again when my Florida vacation and another trip out of state for Thanksgiving prevented me from doing my outdoor decorating. Fortunately, the weather man gave me a couple of warm days to work with and I now have a few white lights and greenery to show for my labor.
I was afraid it was going to be a Charlie Brown Christmas. A few years ago I purchased some outdoor miniature trees to line my walkway. I was too conservative at the time and only purchased one set of three trees. Last year one of the pre-lit trees bit the dust and I was could not find another set to augment. Fast forward to Black Friday 09--I'm visiting family in Texas and I spot a set of similar trees at the chain store where I purchased the original set at. I was excited about beefing up my miniature forest but I had a dilemma--our vehicle was packed to the roof. There was NO ROOM for another suitcase or package much less a couple of boxes of miniature trees. So I left them behind in hopes that the store in my town had the same merchandise. On Monday I found and purchased the trees. It was too good to be true. They were a bargain price for a reason...they are the scrawniest miniature trees I've ever seen! I strategically placed them in front of some thicker bushes so they don't look so wimpy and at night no one is the wiser. Except for you...

Merry Christmas to you!
Gina

No comments: