Monday, May 18, 2009

Reality Check

Last week was full of drama--
Biggest Loser finale
American Idol final 3
Grey's Anatomy cliffhanger
24
Survivor finale
my daughter's junior prom...

But only one of those events was real in my life.

I've previously confessed to watching way too much TV and now I add reading too many blogs/websites to that confession. Last week I found myself caught up in the emotion of the "Jon & Kate plus Eight" controversy/gossip. I've always loved the show and was sad to hear of possible marital problems between the couple. If the rumors are true, I defended their right to privacy to work things out. If the rumors were not true, I am outraged that such a thing would be advertised simply as a publicity ploy to generate interest for the upcoming season.

After spending much of the week on an emotional roller coaster, what I came to realize is that I was "borrowing" things to worry or fret over. These reality shows are not my real life!

Along the same line of thought-- blog people are not really my friends either. Potential friends perhaps-- I know there are people who have met in the blogosphere and met in real life and formed friendships. But for now, for me, no matter how much I read about them, comment to them or even receive comments back--we do not have a upclose and personal relationship. I have never given them a hug nor received one back. I have never sat across a table and shared a plate of nachos or more importantly, shared deeper heart issues.

What is real in my life are the family and freinds that are here for a hug, a cry, a smile or a pat on the back. They are the ones who write me notes of encouragement, who dare to speak truth into my life, and who love me in spite of myself. It is for them that I am putting some personal boundaries in place and monitoring how much of the unreal world I allow into my life.

"Summing it all up, friends, I'd say you'll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious—the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse. Put into practice what you learned from me, what you heard and saw and realized. Do that, and God, who makes everything work together, will work you into his most excellent harmonies."

Ephesians 4:8-9 The Message

Keeping it real,
Gina

No comments: